I Get It


In light of the Olympics {and this article from Refinery29}, I just thought I'd put in my two cents about this Ashley Wagner face.  I'll be honest with you, at first I did not like Ashley Wagner at all.  She seemed like she had a chip on her shoulder and well, mildly cocky {yeah, yeah she has to prove her spot on the team - I get it}.  When she made this face at the score she received in Team Skating, {and muttered "You're not serious this is bullshit"} I just though "So not classy".  But the more I thought about it, the more I realized how much {competitively} I relate.  You know what they say, sometimes your own bad habits or traits in other people drive you most nuts.  When it comes to athletics and competition, that's the one time I get pretty sassy and mouthy.  If a ref makes a bad call, I'm going to make a face and talk loudly about how blind they are.  If I don't PR in a race, I'll be moody and more determined to prove myself in the next race.  If we're really honest I'll admit the first time I cussed was on a softball field freshmen year when I struck out in my first Varsity game. Playing fields continue to be my mouthy downfall.  "So not classy."  So I guess I can really appreciate Ashley's real reaction here, especially in Figure Skating, where it's all about composure and grace {except for that whole Tanya Harding thing...}.  And let's be honest, I'm a sucker for an underdog.  Gracie Gold is America's sweetheart in skating right now, so naturally, I have to shift my favoritism to Ashley - little rebel of the sport - however I have a sinking feeling Russia is going to nab the gold.
Julia Lipnitskaia is just too dang good for her 15 year old self.  
 Growing up I always wanted to be a figure skater.  I would jump around my living room with Nancy Karagen on the screen in a tutu and roller skates talking about my double toe loop, so needless to say, I get a little involved in this realm of the Games.  Sidenote: Have you seen the Thank You, Mom commercials?  Make me cry.  Every time.  I just want to be an Olympic mom.  That's it.  Any sport but luge.
Ok, done with my Olympic-geek out moment of the day.

6 comments:

  1. omg, yes.. i remember watching Michelle Kwan and just wanting to do that as well lol.
    and Julia Lipnitskaia.... JEEEEEZ it was an unbelievable performance. i didn't even think it was real at some points cause it was so good lol

    xo, Brikena
    www.jarofjoy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...you never cussed until freshman year!? #nazarenekid

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get her reaction, to some extent. I thought her performance was weak, boring, and the antithesis of what I think of figure skating. She may have had a solid skate, but did she/her coaches really think that was a gold medal routine? ... but then again, I'm not a figure skater, so I could be wrong (and probably am). I do relate to getting sassy though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been keeping up with the Olympics ( I know, horrible). But oh my gosh my face would have looked like this too, if I trained like she had! Lauren @cornwellfam.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love everything about this post. I agree with it all. Especially the growing up wanting to be Nancy Keragan. I'm not gonna lie. I had a scrapbook. I saved magazine and newspaper clippings. She was my fav. Michelle Kwan was good too.
    And the whole Olympic mom commercials? They make you cry even harder when you have kids! Tyler made sure to point it out so he could watch me bawl my eyes out. Just about anything with mom's and their kids will make me cry. I'm a sucker. . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts! :-)

    Kelly
    www.whatlovedoes.co

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love!